West Central Valley Community School District At-Risk Program
WEST CENTRAL VALLEY COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
West Central Valley Community Schools provides a system of support for all students in order for them to maximize their potential. The Iowa School Counseling Program provides a foundational Core for programs and services within the West Central Valley Community School District. The programs and services available for K-12 students are intended to support school achievement and prevent students from dropping out of school. This system is pro-active in helping students find success while in school and in post-high school settings.
As educators, we are aware that for some students, challenges exist and arise that interfere with their opportunities for success. The At-Risk Program addresses the challenges of at-risk students who are not meeting, or have challenges in meeting, the established goals of the educational program.
At-risk identification is determined by experiences and factors that affect school performance. At-risk student identification is considered throughout the K-12 school-age population. When students are identified as at-risk three main domain areas are considered Academic, Career, and Personal/Social Development (Iowa School Counseling Standards and Benchmarks).
Students are identified as at-risk when they have two or more risk factors from Iowa Administrative Code 281-Ch. 12.2:
- High rate of absenteeism, truancy or frequent tardiness
- Limited or no extracurricular participation or lack of identification with school, including but not limited to, expressed feelings of not belonging.
- Poor grades, failing in one or more subjects at semester or grade level.
- Low achievement scores (25 or lower on Standardized Tests)
AT-RISK PROGRAM GOALS
- Decrease high rates of absenteeism, truancy, and tardiness so students experience full core instruction.
- Increase student academic success and homework completion in passing core classes by ensuring academic interventions; therefore, increasing the likelihood of student achievement on district assessments.
- Have a system of intervention and support in place that is preventative as well as responsive to help improve the chances of students graduating on time with their peers.
- Assist students with personal/social challenges that could impede school success at school and beyond the school setting.
- Assist students in understanding the importance of good conduct and reducing the suspensions or detentions for non-academic issues during a semester or school year.
- Increase student participation in classroom learning activities and/or extra-curricular activities by showing the importance of school and community involvement.
- Facilitate access to community-based support services for at-risk students and families.
For students who experience challenges that may impede their success, the district provides a system of intervention and support that addresses specific challenges.
West Central Valley High School & Stuart Elementary- Meghan King- At-Risk Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org or phone #515-523-1313)
West Central Valley Middle School & Dexter Elementary- Hannah Sanders- Dean of Students/Computers